• acarey67

Demons Demolish Pies

On a perfect winter’s afternoon, and on their home ground, third placed Willunga were hot favourites to beat bottom-placed Goolwa-Port Elliot. And win they did – by just under 30 goals.

Renney got the home side off to a fast start when he slammed home the first goal of the game. Darcy Scott got another a minute later followed by majors to Bass and Nelson and a second to Renney. The Demons’ domination started in the centre square where Bass and Mills palmed the ball to their fast-moving on-ballers Juckers and Hutchens. The Demons moved the ball quickly and used slick handballs and precise foot passes to set up many opportunities. Altus was a link man across half-forward, Lachie Scott marked strongly across half-back and Burdett rebounded with dash. Payne, Carnelly and Hausser defended vigorously for the visitors and eventually their hard work was rewarded when Griffen won a free kick inside 50 metres. The Magpies’ best chance of a goal for the quarter fell centimetres short and was knocked through by the Willunga defenders. Nissen missed a second opportunity as the siren sounded.

The Magpies’ Pryor nearly got the opening goal of the second quarter but his kick drifted wide. Renney and Juckers drove the ball forward to Warmington who goaled. Cuthbert got it straight back for Goolwa to bring up the Magpies’ first goal of the game. Mills and Hoffman combined to score Willunga’s second for the quarter. Carnelly, Payne and Cuthbert were courageous in defence but eventually Willunga’s constant forward pressure proved too much. Bass set up Altus then Bass kicked a goal himself when the Magpies’ full back was penalised for running too far whilst kicking in. Darcy Scott passed to Hoffman who kicked a long goal but Renney needed no assistance when he caught a defender holding the ball and converted from 40-metres. The Magpies went forward but Burdett intercepted, sidestepped through the centre of the ground and kicked long to Standfield who played on to Haskett who kicked accurately. Just before the halftime siren, Harrison drove the Magpies forward where Griffen took the ball and, despite a huge turning circle, avoided tacklers and kicked a long arcing goal just before the halftime siren.

The premiership quarter was a repeat of the first two quarters: Willunga kicked seven goals to one by Goolwa-Port Elliot. The three-quarter time margin would have been much greater if Willunga had not kicked 11 behinds as well as their seven goals. The game was played in the Willunga forward half but the Demons sprayed several shots wide, especially during the first half of the quarter. Hoffman kicked the home side’s first for the quarter then the dashing Hutchens slotted from 45 metres. Nelson kicked another then fast play by Lachie Scott and Hoffman allowed Darcy Scott to mark – and goal. Harrison and Griffen combined to allow Cuthbert to kick his second. Willunga countered when Bass set up Altus and Miegel set up Bass whose banana kick from the boundary split the middle to give the Demons a 20-goal lead at three quarter time.

The visitors’ pain was made worse in the last quarter when Willunga added 11 goals to 2 to extend their lead by the final siren. The Demons shuffled their team around to allow defenders to experience more of the play and they proved more accurate than the forwards had in the third quarter. Lachie Scott kicked two (after twice hitting the post), Cook another, then in a bizarre incident, Irvine kicked a high ball into the pocket, dashed forward, marked his own kick, was paid the mark - then went back and converted from a tight angle. In between the flurry of Willunga goals, Goolwa-Port Elliot converted twice. Nissen and Fergusson put the ball to a dangerous position and Griffen converted, then a Willunga dropped mark allowed Fergusson to kick another. Darcy Scott kicked two in succession, Bass snapped one from a throw-up then handballed to Tregenza who drove a long kick home from 40 metres to bring up his first for the season and his team’s 32nd for the match. The two points and percentage took Willunga to second on the GSFL premiership table.

100 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All