top of page
  • #wfc

Demons Down Pies

Updated: Aug 19, 2020

Willunga hosted Goolwa-Pt Elliot in their first home game of the shortened 2020 season, and celebrated the opening of their new changerooms, with a convincing 9-goal win.

The home team dominated the opening quarter but found it difficult to kick straight against a strong, side wind. Nelson, Hutchens and Burdett moved the ball forward with regularity but the forwards could not finish off their good work. Six different Demons’ players kicked behinds, plus one out-of-bounds-on-the-full, before Altus snared the first major of the game and the only goal of the opening quarter. Miles had the visitors’ best opportunity to goal but his set shot hit the post.

Willunga kicked to the scoring end in the second quarter and put the final result out of the Magpies’ reach with a dominating and straight-shooting performance. Standfield marked and goaled early then, after more Willunga inaccuracy, Martin, Dawson and Bass kicked truly to give the Demons’ on-ballers and rebounding defenders, reward for effort. Miles, Daniel Fry and Pearce battled hard in defence for Goolwa-Pt Elliot but were unable to stem the Willunga onslaught: Cook, Martin and Beath goaled in a 5-minute power play. Warmington put the icing on the cake for the Demons with a long goal after the half-time siren.

Goolwa-Pt Elliot rallied strongly after half-time and outscored the inaccurate Demons, 5 goals to 4. Daniel and James Fry, Le Ray and Prior worked hard for the Magpies and gave great support to the big marking Miles. Parkes showed class to kick the visitors’ second goal then Nissen set up Barnett who found the middle of the big sticks. Scott was a rock of the Demons’ defence and Burdett the great rebounder. One of his low penetrating kicks set up an opportunity for Cook who snaffled his second. Goolwa-Pt Elliot refused to surrender. Ekers-Broadbent gave to Prior who goaled. Lee got it straight back for Willunga but again the Magpies countered through Lane. Miles was awarded a free kick on the three-quarter time siren and goaled from 40 metres.

The last quarter was not a great spectacle. Miles went loose in defence and managed to stifle many Willunga attacks. Willunga had no interchange players so maybe tired legs contributed to their continued inaccuracy. Altus created the only Demons’ goal of the quarter when his fearless attack on the ball on the wing allowed the Willunga forwards to out-manoeuvre Miles and get the ball to Bass then Beath who kicked his second goal. Lane had the opportunity to counter for Goolwa-Pt Elliot but his kick on the siren was pushed off-line by the wind.

Written by Alan Tucker and brought to you by major sponsor Wood n Logs

70 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Tigers Overcome Their Demons

Ninth-placed Willunga went into the game against eighth-placed Yankalilla with the intention of winning their first game of the season and drawing equal with the visitors on one win apiece. Instead, t


bottom of page